Part 1 of a 4-Part Series
Last week a Microsoft Dynamics GP user asked a question in the user group form www.GPUG.com about obtaining the employee Head Count in Power BI. I offered a suggestion and another user offered a different suggestion. I thought about it over the weekend and realized this would be a great opportunity to review the importance of knowing your data, or being a Data Consultant.
This 8-ish minute video reviews the Pros and Cons of 3 different method of obtaining the employee head count. I review the method the initial user (who asked the question) used and the two recommendations that another user and I provided.
What we all failed to ask first was:
- Would that be all active employees on a given day of the month?
- Do you want to count all employees who worked in the month or was paid in the month?
- Do part time employees get counted as 1 employee or a partial employee?
- How do you want to count an employee that gets paid among multiple departments?
- More questions based on the answers to the above.
This has become a 4-part series. Part 1 is an overview and the remaining parts show how I retrieved the data from GP and modeled it.
Hope this helps!
Note: Learn more about Microsoft Power BI HERE!